Alma 9.0 workstation is connected to wifi, but there is no Internet access

Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Alma 9.0 workstation, using the DVD iso, verified.

I can connect using wifi to my home wifi router.

But there is no Internet access.

• ping does not work
  • Firefox is not able to access any sites
  • Software package does not update
  • sudo dnf up does not work

Any help is appreciated.

When you do look with commands, like:

nmcli c s
ip ro
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nmcli

… does it look like the machine has got IP address (and other network config) from router?

Is that “ping name” or also “ping IP-address”? Can you ping the router by its address?

@jlehtone
Thank you very much for your help.
I am just a home user and would not know all these things to try.

nmcli c s
Shows a list of SSIDs including the one I am connected to hilited in green with DEVICE = wlp2s0b1

ip ro
Shows
default via 10.0.0.1 dev wlp2s0b1 proto dhcp metric 600
10.0.0.0/24 dev wlps0b1 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.0.173 metric 600

cat /etc/resolv.conf
Shows
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver [long IP6 address]
nameserver [long IP6 address]

I am now changing the DNS setting to be automatic and rebooting in case 1.1.1.1 is not good. (1.1.1.1 is a Cloudflare DNS server)

Still no Internet access

cat /etc/resolv.conf
Now shows
MY ISP nameservers

nmcli
Shows
wlp2s0b1 connected to wifi SSID
(I have type everything from one screen into this post so if it is ok, I will not type the rest of this output)

… does it look like the machine has got IP address (and other network config) from router?
Sorry I am not sure how to tell (Just a non-techie home user)

ping name does not work (no output)

ping 1.1.1.1
gives
Destination Host Unreachable

I was not sure if 10.0.0.1 is my router IP so I confirmed this using
route -n

ping 10.0.0.1
gives
From 10.0.0.173 Destination Host Unreachable

BUT I let this ping command keep running and after 70 tries,
ping 10.0.0.1
all of a sudden changed to:
64 bytes from 10.0.0.1 time = 3556 sec, 2.45 ms, 1072 ms, etc
so the response time is all over the place and very slow mostly
but I am connected now and eg Firefox can load pages

Trying
ping 10.0.0.1
agian now gives
time = 3.xx seconds so the response time is good now as well

Thank you very much for your help!

Now I am just wondering why there was no ping, then a slow ping, then a fast ping to the router lol

Askimet has hidden my post for some reason which worried me because I had typed in a lot of info and thought I had accidentally deleted it lol - hopefully my post will be back soon

@jlehtone
Thanks again for your helpful and quick response.
I had taken a lot of time to do all the commands you suggested, do some other testing, type all the results into a post, etc. only to have my post hidden due to it falsely being identified as spam.
It turned out when I had let “ping name” run for a while, it went from reporting no connection, to reporting a slow connection eg 3700 ms response, to a quick connection eg 3 ms response, to no connection again, over and over.

Sounds like the Wifi connection is not stable. Alas, the only thing that I know about wifi is that I don’t like wireless connections.

I noticed that when using ping and I had a good connection to my router (eg a 3 ms response) and then started either Firefox or Gnome Software, this would cause wifi to lose connection to router.

Given this behavior of Alma 9.0 as well as my post which has been falsely labeled as spam and has been hidden and not restored for 8 hours now, I am going to abandon using Alma 9.0.

I reinstalled Linux Mint over Alma on the same machine and out of the box Linux Mint connects perfectly to my wifi with a consistent 2 to 4 ms response using ping to my router.

@jlehtone
Thank you for your time and trying to help me.