Almalinux 8.4 after updating issue

Hello. I have sucessfully updated my Almalinux to version 8.4. Just after couple of days I started my laptop and checked again if there are any updates, but:

[ahmed@alma8 Desktop]$ sudo dnf update -y
[sudo] password for ahmed:
Repository powertools is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository powertools-source is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository powertools-debuginfo is listed more than once in the configuration
Last metadata expiration check: 0:45:42 ago on Sat 29 May 2021 02:13:38 PM +04.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

I am not sure what is wrong. Please advice me.

Thanks,

I’ve just run the updates on my 8.4 desktop and there doesn’t seem to be a problem, so I think you need to look at your configuration. Have you checked to see if any files have been added to /etc/yum.repos.d/? I see that the 8.4 upgrade updated alma-ha.repo, almalinux-powertools.repo and almalinux.repo on my machine. Have you got any old copies still lurking in there?

1 Like

I did face the same issue a default 8.3 test install upgraded to 8.4, I solved it with the following steps. Check before performing the next steps if you have almalinux.repo.rpmnew in the /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory.
sudo cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
# move old repo to home directory
sudo mv almalinux.repo ~/
# rename almalinux.repo.rpmnew to almalinux.repo
sudo mv almalinux.repo.rpmnew almalinux.repo

1 Like

I had this problem too.

rpms have two behaviours:

1. keep your modified config file and create a new file named .rpmnew
  2. save your config file as .rpmsave and make the new file live

The AlmaLinux repo installs are currently doing (1) surely they should be doing (2).

The intended behaviour (especially in the migration script) is to replace the repos with AlmaLinux ones.

If you have modified files in /etc/yum.repos.d in CentOS then the migration script fails.