AlmaLinux kernel behind CentOS

The current CentOS kernel is 4.18.0-305.7.1.el8_4.x86_64.

The latest I can get in AlmaLinux is 4.18.0-305.3.1.el8_4.x86_64 after
yum clean all; yum update.

I was expecting AlmaLinux to be in front, not behind.

Alan

I did a dnf upgrade today. I have

uname -r
4.18.0-305.7.1.el8_4.x86_64

Yup updates were pushed out a couple days ago. Mirrors may not have picked them all up yet, but they should be synchronized by now.

I have the updates now. Does it really take two days for the mirrors to sync an upgrade that I can download on my copper line in 10 minutes? I would have thought they were all on high bandwidth links.

They are all high bandwidth links, which is why I asked about them being synchronized by now. Was puzzled by that as well.

I was just guessing what the cause could have been. Without knowing where in the world you are and which mirror you used, I guess there is no way to know with certainty. We’ve never had issues with the mirrors before and they usually start pulling things down pretty quickly.

Not sure if I’m the only one, but I use the long term kernels from kernel.org since CentOS.
They seems to been working fine under AlmaLinux 8.4 so far.

2 Likes

Just a note to say that, if you like kernels from kernel.org, you may want to look into ELRepo’s kernel-ml or kernel-lt.

Agreed, we install the EL Repo repository after the base install, and install kernel-lt.