Can't find any references to OpenVSwitch or the more global OpenStack Repos

I’m looking for the repos that include the OpenVSwitch software or the OpenStack repos. Either references to compatable repos or something where I can at least get the OpenVSwitch software without having to resort to compiling and installing myself.

Any pointers, clues, or potential release dates to expect?

Marcos

Hey @mdella do these instructions work for you? https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-open-vswitch-on-centos-rhel/

Line #2 of instructions…

sudo yum install -y epel-release centos-release-openstack-train

no such thing for AlmaLinux, no openstack or cloud repositories that will work with AlmaLinux therefore no go. Manually pulling in the RPM also fails due to dependencies on centos packages that are no longer there. Hence the request :slight_smile:

This is a major pain point for me as well, although I’m not (currently) requiring OpenStack there are some RPMs that are for some reason only available from there, such as etcd and a couple of Python modules.

So… I looked for almost a week to see if there was a way around all of this and ultimately the answer was… no…

What I ended up doing is pulling down the github repo for OpenVSwitch, compiling it, producing an RPM (off of my AlmaLinux box) then I had an RPM I could deploy to the rest of my AlmaLinux boxes. Unfortunately this means I’m now having to periodically make a package and redeploy/update machines out there as its in my personal repo instead of a public repo.

The two rpm’s that I ended up creating were:

• network-scripts-openvswitch-2.15.90-1.el8.x86_64.rpm
  • openvswitch-2.15.90-1.el8.x86_64.rpm

First I enabled the PowerTools repo and did a group install.
I did a git clone of the ovs repo and configured using:
./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc CFLAGS=-g -O2 -march=native

1 Like

Thanks @mdella. Where are you hosting these RPMs (i.e. where is your personal repo)? We may be able to help set something up where this is automated for you and maybe make it more widely available to the community.