CentOS 7 to Alma

I’m just in the final throws of installing a new Alma host to replace my existing C7 one. The timeline was:

• 2019 - Create CentOS8 VM as a test
  • 2020 - Move OwnCloud and Dokuwiki to C8 VM. Test DNS. Create a temporary host C8 system to test for hardware issues
    **Create Springdale, SuSE VMs to start evaluating moving away from CentOS
    **Create Alma VM when the beta came out
    **Update Alma VM to release.
    **Create an Alma USB stick to test on the Laptop (can’t change the OS on it, SWMBO requires Windows).
    **Create a full installation of Alma on the host.
    **Mount the original /virt filesystem (where my VMs are kept)
    **Configure virtual machines onto the new host.
    **Mount the original /home directory on the new host.

and now I’m running an Alma host with a C8 VM. Applications can be moved back to the host in slow time whilst I maintain service to the other nodes. Phew!

Thanks all, the combined upgrade and migration has gone with minimal problems.

2 Likes

Hi Martin. I am new here and i have some CentOS 7 running my services.
They are:

• HTTPD, MySQL(Mariadb) and Asterisk. For new Instalation i will try to Alma and i have one question about migrate Centos& to Alma.

Do you Have running AlmaLinux in Production ?

That slightly depends upon what you mean by “production”. My server serves DNS, OwnCloud, DHCP, Dokuwiki etc to the various machines at home. In one sense it’s “in production”, but a very limited non-commercial production. I effectively retired in 2018, so now don’t have access to big machines.

Hi @guilerezende! Welcome to the forums. There are many production workloads already running on AlmaLinux. Do you have any specific questions about migration?

Welcome @guilerezende. Good luck with your rebuild with ALMALinux.

Hi Jack, sorry for delay. I already install AlmaLinux in new client and running OK!

So, my services are Asterisk , HTTP and MariaDB. I don´t use Linux to Desktop. Only Server.

So, i am happy to talk this comunity. The end of year, i can donate $ for this project AlmaLinux. I have one company in Brazil to work with Asterisk. This is www.gtinetwork.com.br.

Thanks!

Hi Jack, sorry for delay. I already install AlmaLinux in new client and running OK!

So, my services are Asterisk , HTTP and MariaDB. I don´t use Linux to Desktop. Only Server.

So, i am happy to talk this comunity. The end of year, i can donate $ for this project AlmaLinux. I have one company in Brazil to work with Asterisk. This is www.gtinetwork.com.br.

Thanks!

i am also a newbie to this world. Already installed it on new server.

First Look, everything is alight now.

1 Like