/dev/md/root FULL - cleanup or expand?

Hi All,

I would appreciate some support here. I am not the most experienced Server Admin but I am still learning. I run cPanel on AlmaLinux and this morning I woke up to the /dev/md/root being at max capacity.

I know I either have to clean it up or grow the partition but at this point I am a little out of my depth and would appreciate some guidance.

Is there a way to clean this up or must this ALWAYS be expanded?

The total size is 35GB but it is maxed out for some reason.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 7.7G 0 7.7G 0% /dev
tmpfs 7.7G 0 7.7G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.7G 9.2M 7.7G 1% /run
tmpfs 7.7G 0 7.7G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md126 35G 35G 25M 100% /
/dev/md124 913G 213G 700G 24% /home
/dev/md125 1016M 323M 694M 32% /boot
/dev/md123 599M 5.8M 593M 1% /boot/efi
/dev/loop0 1.5G 3.1M 1.4G 1% /tmp
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /run/user/0

Any advice would be appreciated.

35 GiB should be enough. My first thought would be to look in /var/log. Have you got a log file that is out of control? Do you run logrotate? A log file that is suddenly excessively large may indicate some deeper problem, so a careful cleanup is advised!

1 Like

You can get summary of usage within subdirectories with:

du -d 2 -h -x /

(The -d 2 shows two top levels of subdirectories.)

Expansion of RAID can get quite tricky.

1 Like

I found the problem. It was the Jetbackup process that was creating temp backup files in the configured workspace that was consuming 25GB. I opened a ticket with them and they advised to move the workspace directory to a larger partition but this (in my opinion) should be be done at app installation where it should ask us to select a large partition for the workspace.

Thank you all for the help here. You guys are all so invaluable!!

Unfortunately both of your advice was correct to lead me to a solution but I can only select one as the solution. So who do I choose now… :upside_down_face: