I want learn alma more..more more more

is almalinux is good for old laptop? Toshiba Satelite A665-S5170 ? (RAM 4GB and still use HDD 5600 rpm)

and what DE i should use ? compatibility and stable is priority…
for learn alma and start use it as my daily driver

already try fedora but… little lagging :smiley:

thankyou admin to unhide my post

I don’t (want to) know laptops. There are now two distinct AlmaLinux: Alma 8 and Alma 9.
The latter requires more CPU features. I did not look up what CPU that Toshiba has.

Nevertheless, very old, new, or exotic devices do tend to not have drivers in base (RHEL and derived) distros. Luckily, there are ways to get drivers.

Alma 8 provides what RHEL 8 provides and that is Gnome 3; only one DE. Stable though.

However, one does not have to install that DE. Third-party repos, like EPEL, do have other DEs for EL8.
Personally I don’t care about DE, unless there are technical reasons – I had a niche need.

If compatibility/stability is most important then unless you are prepared to build the DE you should use Gnome as it is what RHEL/Alma include.

Many like myself prefer KDE but you will (likely) feel pain as 1, RHEL don’t test that it works when they change stuff and 2, epel (the repo providing it) … do not always include what you want Eg. the current epel has KDE 5.23 which kde no longer support. epel have not yet included kde 5.24 (current LTS) and they went from 5.18 (LTS) to 5.23 … I don’t know why they did that, maybe there were technical reasons they couldn’t stay on 5.18 (until 5.24 came out) when building for rhel 8.5+

I’ve always found Fedora workstation to be flakey/unreliable.