Install Dropbox

Hi,
I’ve migrated from Ubuntu to Almalinux (redirected from CERN). I have difficulties in properly installing Dropbox.
I cannot find Dropbox in standard repositories for Almalinux. Where can I find it?

I downloaded the version for Fedora, but libgnome is missing and can’t find it for Almalinux.
I managed to install Dropbox from other sources but.
First I cannot make it start at loging (despite running dropbox autostart).
Second the icon cannot be clicked to select preferences and check the status. I can do so only in Xfce (but then the latter crashes… suppose is the Nvidia graphic card).

Any suggestion?
Cheers
Gianni

I’ve just run up Ubuntu on a VM. apt search dropbox doesn’t come back with anything other than the various APIs such as python3-dropbox - “Official Dropbox API Client”. So the question is, what was it you had on Ubuntu, and where did it come from?

Hi,
You can download the .deb file from the dropbox website. They provide explicitly one for Ubuntu

You have two choices: the Fedora .deb or else compile from source. If downloading the .deb, ensure that you select the “Fedora 21-36 (.rpm)” 64-bit version. The V37 uses kernel 6.0. Alma 8.7 uses 4.18 and Alma 9.1 uses 5.14. Even then there are no guarantees. If the 21-36 .deb doesn’t work, you may have to compile from sources.

Any lurkers here done this?

Thanks Martin. Noted

When you say “Dropbox”, do you mean “server that hosts files” or “client that can access Dropbox server”?

For the latter, EPEL has at least rclone.

1 Like

Hi,
I am using Almalinux 9. I followed these solutions. No one doesn work. When I try install it from *.rpm file, I get this error:

‍‍‍‍warning: nautilus-dropbox-2020.03.04-1.fedora.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 5044912e: NOKEY
error: Failed dependencies:
	libgnome >= %{gnome_version} is needed by nautilus-dropbox-2020.03.04-1.fc21.x86_64

How can I solve it?

Hi,
The best so far has been

1. Install kde-plasma (it’s’ the best for support of the icon of dropbox which gives access to some tools)

2. install nautilus-devel and python-docutils

3. run rpm -i nautilus-dropbox… (I’ve installed the one you are referring to)

4. run dropbox start -i

Good luck

1 Like