Network connection problem with Alama 8/cPanel fresh installation

The ip route get is a simple local lookup from the routing tables.
The routing table does have a (default) route to 8.8.8.8, so it gets reported.
It does not tell whether the broadcast domain that eno1 is connected actually has anything that would respond to “Who has 72.139.123.209?” query.

The problem might be that I do not have a FULL range subnet. I only own 5 static IPs assigned to me by my provider. They are from 72.139.123.210 to 72.139.123.214 with gateway 72.139.123.209. I only have then 2 of the IPs to use: 213 and 214. This one: 72.139.123.208 does not belong to me… Please advise… I am going crazy here…

210, 211 and 212 are already in use.

How do I remove the existing connections?

Your nmcli c s did reveal that you have five connections, named
eno1, eno2, eno3, eno2, and eno5

Notice how two have same name (eno2)? They do have different UUID.

One can refer to connection with either name or UUID. Three of the connection one can remove by name:

nmcli c del eno1
nmcli c del eno3
nmcli c del eno4

The nmcli c del eno2 might give error or remove something – I don’t know. Therefore, one should use the UUID:

nmcli c del 7ec3..

(You have to write the entire UUID.)

The man nmcli-examples has some examples of how to create a connection.
I would start with:

nmcli con add type ethernet con-name eno1 ifname eno1 ipv4.method auto ipv6.method disabled

It creates connection for interface ‘eno1’. Name of connection is eno1 and it uses DHCP to get IPv4 config.

Commands nmcli and nmcli c s should show what you get.
If you do get config from DHCP and if the connection is functional – traffic can flow,
then the next question i what address did you get? The command nmcli ought to have shown it, as does ip ro

If the connection does not get “up” – does to get config from DHCP, then you have to use a static config. It is possible to modify existing connection:

nmcli c mod eno1 ipv4.method manual ip4 72.139.123.213/28 gw4 72.139.123.209 ipv4.dns "64.71.255.198 64.71.255.202 8.8.8.8"

The changes might not be immediate. There are at least three ways to get them in use:

nmcli c down eno1 ; nmcli c up eno1
systemctl restart NetworkManager
systemctl reboot

The manual config above assumes that the “wire” from interface “eno1” does lead to machine that has the address 72.139.123.209.

You have three interfaces. Why?

The NetworkManager does have a default that it generates a connection to every interface that does not have stored connection. They do use DHCP. If DHCP does not give anything, or if it gives addresses from different subnets, then those are not an issue (but can be afterwards).

Thank You very much for your help and time you are spending on this… It looks like this is a great solution to my problem. I am going to start working on it today… I am not IT guy, just a beginner, so it may take a while, hope I can do this right… I might have some questions still. Hope you do not mind?

Yes, I do not need 3 interfaces. I need just one to function. But they require 2 name servers for a web server, so let it be two… My 1st server works that way. I know these are on the same subnet… so it won’t help too much in case of connection going down.

Who are “they”? Where does a web server use name server?

A “name server” usually means “DNS server”, which resolves hostname into IP address.
Your previous config did show two: 64.71.255.198 and 64.71.255.202 – neither of which is your machine.
You do not need more than one connection in order to reach any number of (public) DNS servers.

Hmmm… I never had these IPs. Where did you see that?

Yeah. Just one active connection will make me very happy… I do not need more.

On your very first post …

Ooops… I am sorry. Yes. These are both my DNS numbers. I am getting all confused here…

But these are the DNS numbers that I got from my provider. They do not resolve to anything. My IP is resolving to ns1. My IP 72.139.123.213 is resolving to ns1.meta4z.com.

Does this change anything? I’m getting more confused now…

Yes. Those servers do run DNS. When your machine needs to
resolve name to address (or address to name) it sends a query to DNS.
If that DNS server does not know the answer, then it will ask from another DNS server.
For each defined name there is some authoritative DNS server, who knows the address(es)
and you will get reply.

This is what I (and probably everyone else in the world) see:

$ host 72.139.123.213
213.123.139.72.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unallocated-static.rogers.com.
$ host ns1.meta4z.com
Host ns1.meta4z.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ host unallocated-static.rogers.com
unallocated-static.rogers.com has address 127.0.0.1

The “unallocated-static.rogers.com” is a dead end, because it directs to localhost rather than to 72.139.123.213, and nobody knows “ns1.meta4z.com”.

Is the 72.139.123.213 supposed to run a DNS server that can resolve “ns1.meta4z.com” to 72.139.123.213 and back, and which the other DNS servers will be then told to trust on the matter, or will you register the name “ns1.meta4z.com” to the DNS servers of your provider (or some third party DNS server)?

Even if a machine runs a DNS server, it does not have to use that server for resolving names.

ns1.meta4z.com has already been registered as a hostname. Here is the screenshot:

Would that in any way change or complicate the procedure you told me to proceed with in a reply this morning?

I think the IP 72.139.123.213 should resolve to ns1.meta4z.com and back. That is basically how I have done with my first running machine…

I don’t know service providers, but the screenshot looks like an interface to configure something. I presume that it is not a webpage in your host created by cPanel, but something on service provider’s pages. If so, it cannot possibly configure a DNS server inside your host, but some DNS server that runs on service provider’s other machines.

Overall, name is not essential for the network configuration. Name is used by others to point to a machine. Same machine can have multiple names, even for same IP address.

This is GoDaddy (register) configuration page. Nothing to worry about. This is where I added nameservers for this server machine. All we need now is the server’s IP: 72.139.123.213 being online. Once again: I really appreciate your help!!! I am away today, but will try to configure the settings the way you told me some time tomorrow…

In cPanel, nameserver records are also hosted by the cPanel DNS and I think he already has host records configured on the registry end. When his network went down, so did his nameserver’s resolution. Once the network is back up, they should function again.

Could be. Like I said, I don’t cPanel, nor want to. Nevertheless, the results that I as outsider got from DNS were not looking good.

Hi Jukka… Sorry for late answer. I have applied all the steps that you provided and still I cannot get the connection working. Additionally I checked all the equipment I have onsite: router, hub, even the cables, and they all work fine. I connected another computer (macbook) with the same IP configuration to the same hub, port, router and even used the same cable and it works just fine, so it has to be a problem with this server. The last resource would be to check the network card or even replace it to make sure. I will do it later on today. I am attaching the screenshots of the present configuration. Please take a look and perhaps you can see something that prevents this machine go online… Thank you.