Unable to get Samba to work

Since the demise of CentOS, I decided to look at upgrading my system from CentOS 7.3 to either Alma or Rocky, so I installed both on a spare ESX 6 server.

I’ve been trying for over 2 weeks to get Samba working on either of them and no joy.

I tried the Rocky Forum, and no one seems to be able to solve the problem, so I’ll have a try here.

I have a Windows domain. I’ve installed what I believe are all the necessary things and I setuo my smb.conf below:

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
load printers = no
map acl inherit = Yes
username map = /etc/samba/user.map
winbind expand groups = 2
encrypt passwords = yes
idmap config netbiosdomain : range = 10000-999999
idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
realm =
winbind use default domain = yes
template shell = /bin/bash
dns proxy = no
idmap config netbiosdomain : backend = rid
vfs objects = acl_xattr
printing = bsd
server string = Samba Client %h
idmap config * : backend = tdb
workgroup =
logging = file
min domain uid = 0
winbind refresh tickets = Yes
printcap name = /dev/null
security = ADS
disable spoolss = yes
log level = 1

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
valid users = %S

[Web]
comment = Web Servers
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /var/www/
guest ok = no
valid users = %S
valid users = %S

From a Windows 7 or 10 PC, I see the shares, but it won’t accept my password.

Using the File browser on the Linux installation, I click on Other Location → Windows Network and get NOTHING, just an empty screen

I never managed to get Samba working on CentOS 7 either, but it worked perfectly on Centos 6.

1 Like

The config you posted lists a standalone server. It wants a local samba user for login. Use the smbpasswd command to create a local samba user.

If you want to authenticate using domain creds, you have to join the samba machine to the windows domain.

1 Like

When I was a LOT younger my skils were NetWare 6.5, GroupWise and Windows, with a bit of MacOSX. Retired at 81 yrs, my skillsets ain’t wot they used to woz!

My linux skils are noon+ (a little plus) Please explain how to do that and what to add to the various samba files.

It would be MUCH appreciated

1 Like

Click the link in my original response.

1 Like

That mode rules out the local account approach.

man smb.conf writes:

SECURITY = ADS

In this mode, Samba will act as a domain member in an ADS realm. To operate in this mode, the machine running Samba will need to have Kerberos installed and configured and Samba will need to be joined to the ADS realm using the net utility.

Read the chapter about Domain Membership in the HOWTO for details.

1 Like