Upgrade from CentOS 7.x to Alma 8.5 with leapp

Hi there!

I’ve tried to migrate our CentOS 7 Servers with leapp as it’s discribed here: ELevate Quickstart Guide | AlmaLinux Wiki

The Steps to reproduce the behavior are the following:

1.    'yum update -y' on CentOS 7.x machine

2.    'reboot' CentOS 7.x machine

3.    Install 'elevate-release' Repo: 'sudo yum install -y http://repo.almalinux.org/elevate/elevate-release-latest-el7.noarch.rpm'

4.   'leapp preupgrade'

5.  'rmmod pata_acpi' && 'echo PermitRootLogin yes | sudo tee -a /etc/ssh/sshd_config' &&   'leapp answer --section remove_pam_pkcs11_module_check.confirm=True'

6.   'leapp upgrade'

When I’ve done the ‘leapp upgrade’ I got the following error:

Error Summary
-------------
Disk Requirements:
   At least 226MB more space needed on the / filesystem.

I got this on every maschine at the moment and I don’t know how to solve this. I’ve tried the following:

1. Create an own /var/lib/leapp/ Partition as it’s discribed here: [leapp] At least X MB more space needed on the </XXX> filesystem - Red Hat Customer Portal

2. Tried this solution from Red Hat as it’s discribed in the topic article above

Does anyone also had this issue and an solution for my problems?

Thanks,
maze-m

yum --enablerepo clean all before step 6 might help.

more space is needed on the / (root) partition, so i doubt the workaround would work.

is /var part of the / partition/volume i.e. is it just a directory, or does it have its own slice?

what does df -klTh -x tmpfs --total show?

‘more space is needed on the / (root) partition, so i doubt the workaround would work.
is /var part of the / partition/volume i.e. is it just a directory, or does it have its own slice?’

Firstly I had an single / (root) partition and tried to resize the partition a little larger than the specified value from the error-output.

As that doesn’t work I tried this:

…that /var/lib/leapp/ is it’s own partition.

df -klTh -x tmpfs --total shows this:

[root@host-lab:~]# df -klTh -x tmpfs --total
Filesystem              Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                devtmpfs  1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
/dev/mapper/centos-root xfs        29G   16G   14G  54% /
/dev/xvdb               ext4      9.8G  1.5G  7.9G  16% /var/lib/leapp
/dev/xvda2              xfs       497M  121M  377M  25% /boot
total                   -          41G   17G   24G  43% -
[root@host-lab:~]#

you’ve missed this between steps 3 & 4:

sudo yum install -y leapp-upgrade leapp-data-almalinux

disk space obviously isn’t the real issue.

Sorry, I forgot to take it in my post. I’ve done this step on my VM.

I’ve also asked on the Github-Site of leapp and there are two solutions for this problem:

The document is not speaking just about resizing / partition. It’s speaking mainly about

- resize /var partition
- set LEAPP_OVL_SIZE envar when XFS without ftype attribute is present on the system

One of above methods is fixing this issue.