FTP is not working

Im working on a VPS server with AlmaLinux 8 and Cyberpanel. I have ssh access through my windows terminal.

I’m trying to get vsftpd working but it seems to be throwing errors.

I ued the command systemctl status vsftpd.service

It showed vsftpd as active but then came back with an authentication error using the rhost as my local internet service IP (I have a static ip).

When I try to log in using Filezilla, I get an incorrect login error. I’ve delete and re created FTP accounts in Cyberpanel, but that doesn’t work either.

I don’t know how to trouble shoot this or what I’m looking for, but I’m willing to learn.

If this is the first time you are using VSFTP on your server check if PORTs 20, 21 and 990 are closed using:

sudo firewall-cmd --query-port=20/tcp --query-port=21/tcp --query-port=990/tcp

and open them using:

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=20/tcp --add-port=21/tcp --add-port=990/tcp --permanent
firewall-cmd --reload

Also, you can check the vsftpd.userlist file for your given user (I assume that you enabled userlist_enable directive In the vsftpd configuration file):

cat /etc/vsftpd.userlist

and if for what ever reason you are using /bin/flase as a login shell use /bin/nologin instead as /bin/flase would prevent that user from logging in at all:

sudo usermod -s /bin/nologin <USER>

Finaly you can try commenting the chroot_local_users directive in the configuration file to check for any issue with chroot-ing.

If this didn’t help I would recommend checking the vsftpd.log file located in /var/log/ or directly from the command line for more information on why the authentication fails.

For what purpose do you need the FTP?

File transfer? The Filezilla should be able to use SFTP, that is SSH, and thus FTP server is not necessary.