Kde plasma doesn't start after dnf update

Hi,
after an update with dnf update on 12 - Nov 2023 the Kde Plasma won’t start.
The log reported: cannot install kf5-akonadi-server-22.12.3-1.el9.x86_64

nothing provides qt5_qtbase(x86-64) = 5.15.9

The qt required are available for almalinux beta version 9.3

I tried to downgrade, but apparently, the epel repository doesn’t store previous versions

When I try I have messages like:
cannot find rpm nevra “PackageKit-Qt5-1.0.2-4.el9.x86_64”

How can I put back the previous epel packages, or allow all packages to be updated?

Unfortunately, currently, I am unable to provide more information for the log as I do not have a working graphical environment and I am using a tablet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Release Dates - Red Hat Customer Portal shows that RHEL 9.3 became generally available 2023-11-07.

The EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) has already (re)built and released packages for EL 9 (so that RHEL 9 users can update their systems, including EPEL content).

AlmaLinux 9 is not 9.3 quite yet.

I do have EPEL repo disabled by default and enable it only for explicit transactions. That way I won’t accidentally use it during point update release twilight zone.

While waiting for version 9.3, how can I make my system work again?

How can I restore the epel packages to the versions preceding the update, so that they are compatible with Almalinux 9.2?

The boring workaround is to use GNOME.

What EPEL has or has not is an EPEL issue. They seem to have archives, but no 9.2 in it.
You have to contact them about that.

Dnf tends to be “all or nothing”. How did yours update some packages, while it failed for others?

I lost both Gnome and Kde !
With reference to Dnf, I don’t know, but that’s what he did.

I have an issue with installing plasma on AlmaLinux 9.3. I was using the following instruction: https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-kde-plasma-on-almalinux-9-1.42978/

and as a result I got an error:

[den@mypc ~]$ sudo dnf -y groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces" "base-x"
AlmaLinux 9 - CRB                                                                          8.2 kB/s | 4.1 kB     00:00    
No match for group package "k3b-extras-freeworld"
Error: 
 Problem 1: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libhogweed.so.4()(64bit) needed by gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - nothing provides libnettle.so.6()(64bit) needed by gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
 Problem 2: package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavcodec.so.58()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavutil.so.56()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavformat.so.58()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavcodec.so.58(LIBAVCODEC_58)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavutil.so.56(LIBAVUTIL_56)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavformat.so.58(LIBAVFORMAT_58)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavfilter.so.7()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-libav-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates requires libavfilter.so.7(LIBAVFILTER_7)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libvpx.so.5()(64bit) needed by ffmpeg-libs-4.2.9-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - nothing provides libdav1d.so.3()(64bit) needed by ffmpeg-libs-4.2.9-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - nothing provides libsrt.so.1()(64bit) needed by ffmpeg-libs-4.2.9-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - nothing provides libvidstab.so.1.1()(64bit) needed by ffmpeg-libs-4.2.9-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - nothing provides libvmaf.so.0()(64bit) needed by ffmpeg-libs-4.2.9-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
 Problem 3: package gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-1.el9.x86_64 from @System conflicts with gstreamer1-plugins-ugly < 1.20.5-2 provided by gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1.16.1-1.el8.x86_64 from rpmfusion-free-updates
  - cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - conflicting requests
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Does anyone know how to solve it? I hate gnome and I am not able to work on linux without plasma.

Ok, I managed to fix the issue by disabling RPM Fusion repositories.

it has been fixed :wink:

why do you use rpm fusion ? enable it only for a spécific software like vlc
but this is now in epel also.

rpm -qa | grep qt | grep base

qt5-qtbase-common-5.15.9-7.el9.noarch
qt5-qtbase-5.15.9-7.el9.x86_64
qt5-qtbase-gui-5.15.9-7.el9.x86_64
qt5-qtbase-mysql-5.15.9-7.el9.x86_64
qt5-qtbase-devel-5.15.9-7.el9.x86_64
qt6-qtbase-common-6.5.2-5.el9.noarch
qt6-qtbase-6.5.2-5.el9.x86_64

Because of the instruction: https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-kde-plasma-on-almalinux-9-1.42978/ I was just simply following it.

And there was nothing about KDE on the official Alma website. Alma officially supports GNOME only, which I don’t use.

There is nothing wrong in using RPM Fusion with AlmaLinux 9.x. I’m using it with KDE, and it never broke. When dependencies cannot be satisfied, you have to be extremely careful about what packages it wants to remove! Just don’t hit Y without making sure you understood what it’s going to do!

I am using the following repos since AlmaLinux 9.1. Now I am on 9.3.:

• epel
  • almalinux-synergy (that’s newer, I’m using it since 9.3)
  • elrepo
  • elrepo-kernel
  • rpmfusion-free-updates
  • rpmfusion-nonfree-updates

I am aware of an issue when upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 when the system could be left with a non-functional KDE, but just examine what dnf wants to do and don’t blindly trust anything and anyone.

Also, upon releasing of 9.3, RPM Fusion needed some time to build some packages. Too long a time. Frustrating, I grant you that.

BTW, if you can afford to disable Secure Boot, you could use kernel-lt (6.1) from ELRepo, the way I do in my custom KDE spin that I made before the official 9.3 KDE LiveISO was released.

I, too, cannot use GNOME because Nautilus is the only file manager in the known Universe that lacks a Compact List view. l wish someone at Red Hat would realize how ridiculous this is.

A Compact List view is available in:

• Caja, the original Nautilus in GNOME2
  • Thunar
  • Dolphin
  • PCManFM
  • PCManFM-Qt
  • Nemo
  • Xfe
  • ROX-Filer
  • CDE’s file manager
  • Windows File Explorer since Windows 3.0 if not earlier

A Compact List view is NOT available in:

• Files, the Nautilus version in GNOME3/4x

'Nuff said. But I’ll keep repeating it across the intarwebs until I see a single GNOME developer say, “Gee, why the bleep did we remove this view? Because we felt more than two views will be too many for our intelligent users?”

When in front of a computer, no matter the OS, I use my file manager:

• 70% of the time in the Compact View
  • 20% of the time in the Detailed View
  • 10% of the time in the Icons View

If I was forced to live without a Compact View, I’d rather commit suicide.