Open-iscsi (initiator)

Hi all,

I am setting up a target server (almalinux 9.3, scst 3.8) and a client (Almalinux 9.3, open-iscsi) installed with dnf install -y iscsi-initiator-utils.

When I set-up the initiator to my target server all runs fine, if I stop my target service or shutdown this system the client (initiator) does not offline the disk.

under the lsblk command the disks show up as /dev/sda (my system disk is vda, running 2 VM’s with QEMU-KVM).
If I check the iscsi session with iscsiadm -m session -P 3 I can see state: Transport-offline.

In /var/log/messages I see that the replacement_timeout (default 120 seconds) has expired:
kernel: session1: session recovery timed out after 120 secs
but it does nothing, it keeps spamming the following messages:
iscsid[811]: iscsid: connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3260 failed (Connection refused)

I would have expected that at some point it would offline the device /dev/sda and dissapear or something.

I am just testing now but later on I would like too use such a setup for production environments.
I did not yet put a filesystem on the device or whatsoever, but I think this should not matter?
Is there any other way to handle this kind of situations or am I misunderstanding how it works here?

Kind regards,
Anas