Where to find detailed documentation on AlmaLinux?

Hi All,

Where do we find the detailed documentation on AlmaLinux? I know that Alma is based 1:1 from red hat but some of the documentation is hidden behind a paywall for subscribers.

Is there anywhere I can find that has detailed documentation for doing things like adding additional IPs to the server from the command line?

I haven’t installed the GUI version but rather the minimal version.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The main Red Hat documentation is publicly available, but you will need a browser to read it. With no GUI, can you beg/borrow/steal another system?

2 Likes

For the additional addresses:
man nmcli
man nmcli-examples Example 9(?)
should lead to something like:

nmcli con mod $conname +ipv4.addresses 1.2.3.4

However, multiple IPv4 addresses on a connection is almost always mind-boggling, because you probably need policy routing too.

oh yh :slight_smile: I definitely have another system :smiley:

Thanks Martin

Appreciate this. I am still a newbie linux admin. So I am finding my way around.

I am running my own cPanel server on AlmaLinux and haev 4 additional IPs given to me by the provider of my server and want to add these additional IPs so they are available to me in cPanel.

Is this going to be a daunting task??

Oh my goodness! my world just opened up when I installed the web console! This is going to make my life soo much easier!

This is what I was referring to :frowning:

OK, there is a slight terminological difference here. The documentation is the equivalent of the old paper documentation sets that used to fill computer office shelves. That is public. The knowledge base is equivalent to telephone support and that is what you pay for.

All the information is in the documentation, but the hand-holding is not. RHEL (and most other large suppliers) make their money from assistance, training and support. The alternatives are to (1) be an expert, (2) pay for a training course/books or (3) ask the nice people here on the forum to help.

Work out exactly what the problem you are seeing is, show that you’ve tried, gather relevant information and ask. We don’t bite (normally). :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

awesome reply :smiley: Thanks Martin…

I will start a new thread with my problem then :slight_smile:

@bluesteam Register for a developer account with redhat, which is free. You can download RHEL isos for experiments free and you will have access to some of the contents after it.

One machine with multiple IP addresses in same subnet is not trivial. It most likely requires Policy Routing.

A different, simpler setup is when you have one front-end “router” that uses one IP address itself, and other servers behind the router that can be accessed with those additional IP addresses. The router does NAT (aka port forwarding).

Thankfully cPanel handles all that. I found the documentation on cPanel to just add additional IPs and it did it all for me :smiley:

1 Like