How to install the latest package

Hi! Recently I want to install a package on almalinux, e.g. nodejs, I found there are several versions available on repo.almalinux.org.

But when I use dnf to search the package on my host, it reports only one version, that is,

dnf search nodejs ----> nodejs-10.24.0......

In fact there are other version like 12.22, 14.20, 16.17 on Index of /almalinux/8.7/AppStream/x86_64/os/Packages/, I wonder how to install the other version of the interesting package, something like dnf install nodejs-16.17....?

The el8 has streams as someone on Rocky forum pointed out to near identical question.

1 Like

I see, but there’s no efective and immediate solutions provided.

There was link to RHEL documentation that shows the commands, wasn’t there?

Ahh, the “yum commands” is not directly on that page, but in Chapter 4. Installing RHEL 8 content Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 | Red Hat Customer Portal

$ dnf -q module list node\*
AlmaLinux 8 - x86_64 - AppStream - SBL
Name              Stream            Profiles                                         Summary                      
nodejs            10 [d]            common [d], development, minimal, s2i            Javascript runtime           
nodejs            12                common [d], development, minimal, s2i            Javascript runtime           
nodejs            14                common [d], development, minimal, s2i            Javascript runtime           
nodejs            16                common [d], development, minimal, s2i            Javascript runtime           
nodejs            18                common [d], development, minimal, s2i            Javascript runtime

Perhaps:

$ dnf module install nodejs:18
2 Likes

Thanks! Thats exactly what I want!