Raw.xz vs iso for SSD

I bought this 2TB SSD and it’s having trouble recognizing linux filesystems, but is working on windows. I know this because I’ve partitioned xfs, ext4 on there and it returns a bad fs type or missing code page helper error, but when flashed to a vFat system on windows it works fine. I’ve tried different filesystems but it seemed like msdos was the most reliable for it, unless I am missing something on my OS.
I’ve tried putting Almalinux on there and through the dvd iso when it tries to partition the system it returns an error, but when I burn the raw image of the aarch64 on there with balenaEtcher I can boot up and resize the partitions and it seems to work properly, except maybe some slow data transfer speeds when downloading and updating.
I was hoping to use an SD for my rpi4 and was wanting to put the 64bit os on there without using the dvd iso. I am wondering if there are images out there with the 64bit OS that I can burn with balenaEtcher and use instead of an iso that partitions the drive?

Thanks

Hey. There is a raw.xz file in the repo. Does this work for you: https://repo.almalinux.org/rpi/images/AlmaLinux-8-RaspberryPi-latest.aarch64.raw.xz

The raw.xz does work for me, but I was looking for a x86_64 raw IMG. I think this SSD has issues when partitioning so in order to get it to work I’d need an already partitioned IMG that I can burn to the SSD. I’m settling for the RPI IMG for now but was looking around for an x86_64. I have a 256gb SD I was going to use on the pi but will stick with the arm raw.xz if the bigger raw.xz distro doesn’t exist.

Oh so you wanted a raw.xz for the distribution not just raspberry pi. Got it.

We don’t have one now but what I think you can try and do is download the generic cloud image, it’s qcow2, then convert it to raw and try that.

Yes, sir! Okay perfect, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Hey jack, I need your help. I have the qcow2 downloaded and I am hesitant on just converting it to a raw img. Do I need to modify the settings on it? Do you know how the partitions will come out, and if they would be resizable by using rootfs-expand?