Yum history undo last give "Cannot find rpm nevra"

I am trying to undo the last upgrade but I am getting “Cannot find rpm nevra” for all packages I am trying to downgrade. this is the repo list I have:

[root@host ~]# yum repolist
repo id                                                       repo name
appstream                                                     AlmaLinux 8 - AppStream
baseos                                                        AlmaLinux 8 - BaseOS
epel                                                          Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
extras                                                        AlmaLinux 8 - Extras
mariadb-main                                                  MariaDB Server
mariadb-maxscale                                              MariaDB MaxScale
mariadb-tools                                                 MariaDB Tools
remi-modular                                                  Remi's Modular repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
remi-safe                                                     Safe Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
[

AlmaLinux 8.9 was released this week. The 8.9 repos do not contain 8.8’s packages.

If your package update was essentially “remove 8.8 version, install 8.9 version” then
obviously one cannot reverse that (remove 8.9 version, install 8.8 version) when the repos no longer contain the 8.8 versions.

The 8.8 version of repo might be in some archive, but I’d rather ask why and what specifically you try to downgrade?

I am running a test VPS, so just in case something got broken because the upgrade I can revert back to the point where everything was working fine. I run those tests before I apply the upgrade on the production VPS.

What is a good practice to revert back from Almalinux 8.9 to 8.8? and then downgrade all packages were included in the “yum update”?

No, it was “Upgraded 8.8 version, Upgrade 8.9 version”

That is what dnf says, but what it actually does is install of new and removal of old.
Since the new is a 8.9 version from 8.9 repo that does not have any 8.8 version packages, you cannot downgrade.

AFAIK, all support for 8.8 did end the moment the 8.9 was released, so effectively there is no 8.8 any more.
I said that there might be an archive of ghosts past, a vault: Index of /vault/

One can define additional repositories. If they point to vault that has 8.8 content, then dnf would see the packages again.

1 Like