ELevate from AlmaLinux 8 to 9

Hi all,

I’m trying to upgrade from AlmaLinux 8 to 9 with ELevate and I’ve had success with 4 VMs recently.

I’m using this guide ELevate Quickstart Guide | AlmaLinux Wiki

Interestingly, on 1 VM the “leapp preupgrade” fails with this error:

============================================================

ERRORS

2024-01-20 17:18:40.136082 [ERROR] Actor: target_userspace_creator

Summary:

Details: Command [‘systemd-nspawn’, ‘–register=no’, ‘–quiet’, ‘–keep-unit’, ‘–capability=all’, ‘-D’, ‘/var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_HOSTNAME=p-svc-ansible-01.eosksihu.net’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXPERIMENTAL=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UNSUPPORTED=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_NO_RHSM=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_TARGET_RELEASE=9.0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_FLAVOUR=default’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_IPU_IN_PROGRESS=8to9’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXECUTION_ID=4a0cb258-093e-40a1-a9d7-3d8e186137a8’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_TOOLS=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/tools:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el8toel9/tools’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_FILES=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el8toel9/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/wp-toolkit/files’, ‘dnf’, ‘install’, ‘-y’, ‘–nogpgcheck’, ‘–setopt=module_platform_id=platform:el9’, ‘–setopt=keepcache=1’, ‘–releasever’, ‘9.0’, ‘–installroot’, ‘/el9target’, ‘–disablerepo’, ‘*’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-resilientstorage’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-highavailability’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-baseos’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-appstream’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-extras’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-crb’, ‘dnf’, ‘dnf-command(config-manager)’, ‘–disableplugin’, ‘subscription-manager’] failed with exit code 1.

Stderr: Host and machine ids are equal (7b857be71228472d9ac6196f89f36b66): refusing to link journals

warning: Generating 18 missing index(es), please wait…

Error: “etckeeper post-install” returned: 1

END OF ERRORS

I’ve tried “leapp upgrade” for testing purposes but it fails with the same error.

Googled for the error but couldn’t find anything useful.

Check the mentioned logs but the error is not detailed there, same as above.
I’ve tried regenerating the machine-id with/without reboot, but it fails with the same error.

Has anyone ever encountered the error above?

I’m out of ideas, I’d appreciate every help I can get.
#crossposted from Reddit

Looks like it failed in disabling the RHSM plugin. You very likely do not need RHSM on AlmaLinux, so you might try removing subscription-manager and trying again.

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion; I’ve removed the subscription-manager but sadly I get the same (or a really similar error message, highlighted the differences) error during leapp preupgrade:

ERRORS

2024-02-04 11:10:54.539654 [ERROR] Actor: target_userspace_creator
Summary:
Details: Command [‘systemd-nspawn’, ‘–register=no’, ‘–quiet’, ‘–keep-unit’, ‘–capability=all’, ‘-D’, ‘/var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_HOSTNAME=p-svc-ansible-01.eosksihu.net’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXPERIMENTAL=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UNSUPPORTED=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_NO_RHSM=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_TARGET_RELEASE=9.0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_FLAVOUR=default’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_IPU_IN_PROGRESS=8to9’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXECUTION_ID=9773e98c-b0a4-4aae-8999-1f3a9883fc9a’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_TOOLS=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/tools:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el8toel9/tools’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_FILES=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el8toel9/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/wp-toolkit/files’, ‘dnf’, ‘install’, ‘-y’, ‘–nogpgcheck’, ‘–setopt=module_platform_id=platform:el9’, ‘–setopt=keepcache=1’, ‘–releasever’, ‘9.0’, ‘–installroot’, ‘/el9target’, ‘–disablerepo’, ‘*’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-crb’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-extras’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-resilientstorage’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-appstream’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-highavailability’, ‘–enablerepo’, ‘almalinux9-baseos’, ‘dnf-command(config-manager)’, ‘dnf’, ‘–disableplugin’, ‘subscription-manager’] failed with exit code 1.
Stderr: Host and machine ids are equal (1243b4043d22e19e5c0d927e65ae1178): refusing to link journals
No matches found for the following disable plugin patterns: subscription-manager
warning: Generating 18 missing index(es), please wait…
Error: “etckeeper post-install” returned: 1

END OF ERRORS

Try removing the plugin as well: sudo dnf remove libdnf-plugin-subscription-manager.

Or just disable it manually by creating/modifying the /etc/dnf/plugins/subscription-manager.conf fie:

[main]
enabled=False

Hello!

I’ve looked for this package but I do not have libdnf-plugin-subscription-manager installed.
Also tried creating this file /etc/dnf/plugins/subscription-manager.conf but sadly it did not help.

I appreciate your help though!