Migrate centos 7 to AlmaLinux 8

Hi All,
I’m trying to migrate CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8 using the official Guide: ELevating CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 9 | AlmaLinux Wiki

No errors on command: leapp upgrade
So After everything is green… reboot

In console, is stopped in this point:

Any solution?

Hi did you manage to find a solution to this? I am facing this issue as well, figured I try a vanilla CentOS 7 VM with elevate to Alma but it isn’t working at the moment

What’s the problem you are facing after a cold reboot if it gets stuck? (Maybe some screenshot or logs)

This is what I see which shows the error happening at the same package as the original thread post.

If I do a cold boot, it shows me the Alma Linux kernel options(both the normal and rescue are labelled Alma Linux) to boot into.
I select the option for normal instead of rescue kernel and it enters the CentOS 7 background wallpaper and user login, if I try to login w my credentials it reboots.

P.S if it helps I am trying using leap elevate on this same vanilla image for centOS to Rocky Linux as well as Oracle Linux and all fails at the same step

I did try Elevate to AlmaLinux 8 on a new CentOS 7.9 installation using the official guide. Mine did go through but apparently there was a GRUB error instead in the end when I rebooted the second time after ELevate-Upgrade-Initramfs ran successfully:

I had to boot into a rescue system, chroot to the OS, then reinstall grub, kernel and fix up the /boot from scratch and it worked. I already had AlmaLinux in chroot when I checked the /etc/os-release

My upgrade also displayed Read-only file system but it didn’t stop there. Generally OS goes to emergency mode most likely in cases when fstab is missing or filesystem has problems. Could you share the journalctl output?

Hi, do you mean the output attached as a file? How do I copy it out from the elevate boot page to a USB or directory/network location?

Btw thank you so much ankesh for taking the time to help with this

1 Like

You can do this:

mount /dev/sdb /mnt
journalctl -b > /mnt/journal.log

(sdb is the USB)

happy to help! :slight_smile:

Sure will try this and get back in about 10 hours as it’s bed time in Asia. Thanks so much once again!

Hi apologies for the late reply!

Just wanted to update the root cause was found. Which is my VM not having enough resources. I assigned it one core and one GB of ram. After increasing ram to 2 GB the script managed to run smoothly.

Thanks again for all the help!